BUENOS AIRES, Argentina (AP) — The prosecutor in Argentina who is leading the investigation into the failed assassination attempt against Vice President Cristina Fernández called on Monday for the three detained suspects to face trial and said there is so far no evidence that points to political financing or planning of the alleged crime.
Fernández, a former president (2007-2015) who remains politically powerful, harshly criticized the prosecutor, and the justice system as a whole, claiming there didn’t seem to be any interest in investigating who could have been behind the .
Prosecutor Carlos Alberto Rivolo said the main investigation into the case was over and called for the judge in charge of the case, María Eugenia Capuchetti, to bring the three suspects to trial.
The main suspect in the case is Fernando Sabag Montiel, who is accused of attempting to open fire close to Fernández outside her home last year. Television images from the scene showed how the trigger of the gun was pulled but the bullet failed to leave the gun’s chamber.